Saturday, April 25, 2009

Very productive week

After my breakthrough earlier this weeks, my results and understanding of the problem have exponentially improved. My goal is to completely finish my write up on the old material this month so I can just focus on this new stuff which how now become quite interesting with many implications and promise.

I spoke with my adviser yesterday and one thing that I took from the meeting was the need to ensure that the work goes on. This is now added to my list of things to do, and I took one of my other colleagues to lunch yesterday so we could discuss her possibly pursuing some of this work. I personally think that it is a win-win for any graduate student with vision. I have topics...topics alone can take years to find. I know the papers you need to read and I know exactly what you need to know so that advisers will work with you. So if a new graduate student has the interest and motivation, they should have no problem whatsoever graduating.

My hope is to have some working group established in this area that can pursue the technical stuff (programming and theory) while I focus less on theory and programming and more on collecting data and suggesting models for the theory from my work. If we can create a productive working group I have no doubt we can all publish papers with minimal work.

Finishing my old work has been quite a pain, I've lost interest in most of it partly because I have talked about it so much and also because it doesn't seem as difficult as it once did. I wonder if my current work will feel the same one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment