Sunday, March 15, 2009

First Entry

This will be my second attempt at blogging consistently. The first time I successfully did this was in 2005 the summer before I went to grad. school. Four year later, I am done with my coursework, passed my qualifying exams, and am making substantial progress on the dissertation.

Before I entered the program I used to wonder if I would ever "feel" like a statistician....not that I really knew what one was supposed to feel like but I guess now I do feel as if I have decent command of many of the basics concepts. It's a very interesting sort of knowledge because it is easy to forget that the concepts that now are very intuitive to me took months of training to develop and you cannot assume that the average person will just understand why you view the world a certain way.

The central limit theorem for example is something that just makes sense to me. The idea that you can take trials of individuals from some unknown random process, average them and have a known random process is a natural idea that I find valuable, useful and quite interesting. It explains many things that I observe in life and I often reach conclusion on topics like politics and religion based on statistical concepts that are now natural to me; I guess I have developed the mind of a statistician. Perhaps a glimpse into that reality will arise in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment