Sunday, March 22, 2009

Decent day's work

I ran the first test and the results suggest that 5 of my 7 estimates are working correctly. There are two that do not give me the correct values I would expect, one have never given the correct value even on simpler problems and so I believe that is pretty much an issue of identifiability; I am quite sure I have the correct equation because I have used it successfully before.

So there is really only one estimate (h) I am unsure about because it's a new equation and I am not getting the correct values back. The good news is that I know the direction I am going is the correct way; you always feel as if you are sort of just hanging out there until you can verify your results...you just don't know if what you are doing means anything. But I think I have done a decent amount of work to bring to my adviser on monday, I will ask if he can verify or correct my h calculation; if he gets the same estimate I will recheck my computation again and if it doesnt work I will assume that this parameter is also not identifiable. I will think proceed to the final test; hopefully I can wrap up testing by the end of the week. I feel pretty good though, when my research is looking promising to me I feel more optimistic about it in general since I know what I need to do.

One reason I am in a hurry to get results is because I am attending a conference next month in which I am suppose to give a poster presentation. My current poster presentation isn't really related to the conference theme however this problem that I am working on now is and I think it would be an more interesting contribution. This is however the best case scenario, I won't stress myself out to reach this goal.

In other news, after looking at the academic calendar I realize that I am running out of time and I am doubtful I will be able to cover everything that I usually do in my class. I definitely need to cover hypothesis testing, but it would be really bad if I skipped confidence intervals so I will try to squeeze that lecture in somehow. I also need to assign the final project as well as a presentation day; I think I will schedule their last assignment for when I am at the conference since I can always get a fellow grad student to handle that.

Well, I am satisfied with my progress today and so I think I will take off.

No comments:

Post a Comment