Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The rush awaits...

Although I have maintained a relatively stress free level of work over the past week, I fully anticipate this to change shortly. I have a mortgage situation to deal with, still need to get the final okay from my stats adviser, and I need to finished and polish my presentation (I should at least have it finished by the end of the week). I am also planning to take several trips in the coming weeks.

It would seem as though I could save myself from the hectic schedule by dealing with some of this stuff now, but the problem is the only thing I really have control over is making my presentation. I can't speak with my adviser until he has time, I have to wait for the bank before I can do anything w/the mortgage. So I just expect at the last minute all this stuff to press on me, but there really nothing I can do about it now.

Recently I started watching Law and Order: Special Victims Unit. Aside from convincing me never to move to New York City; the show definitely gives you a glimpse at the very dark side of human nature. There are really some truly disturbed people in the world that do unspeakable harm to others. The show has also renewed my interest in law and how the whole process works. You can definitely see the flaws that are in the system...a dirty cop could easily frame an innocent person for a rape or murder. Heck even a devious person could.

I can see how a job in criminal law can seriously challenge your ethics and make you a cynic. After seeing the most obviously guilty people skirt around the law and innocent people get caught up in the system by technicalities has to frustrating.

Suppose the cops bust down the door without a warrant and find 10 dead bodies inside Joe Bloes house. Joe Bloe's lawyer can have all that evidence thrown out of court because there was no warrant, and Joe Bloe walks. One of the victims relatives decides to take the law into his own hands and kills Joe Bloe, and the victims relative goes to jail for murder. That's the law for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment